Article posted by
The cover letter is just as important as the CV. Those who are interested in a Facilities Management role must be able to show they have the required level of experience and skill. As FMs look after all the facilities that an organisation serves, the role involves a lot of responsibility, which you should demonstrate you are capable of handling. The letter will need to be written in an engaging style and it should be kept concise and to the point, using keywords relevant to the job description.
Facilities Manager professionals should be able to demonstrate the following skills in the cover letter:
Communication and interpersonal skills
Problem-solving and analytical skills
Building management expertise
Below is an example of how you could start writing your Facilities Manager cover letter in a compelling way.
Dear (Person’s name)
It’s with great enthusiasm that I submit my application for the Facilities Manager position at (Company’s name). As a Facilities Manager professional with over ten years of experience managing and supporting work facilities to the highest standard, I know my diverse skill set will make me an asset to your team.
Highlights of my experience include:
- Overseeing the total facilities service of (building type/size)/(type of portfolio)
- Managing budgets and financial planning up to the value of (Ex), ensuring cost-effectiveness throughout procedures
- Allocating and managing space between buildings through FM computer systems, such as CAD and BIM
- Supervising multi-disciplinary teams of staff, including reception, cleaning and maintenance, ensuring an organised environment
- Achieving NEBOSH National Diploma and BIFM level 5
Make sure you include enough information, but your cover letter should be no more than three or four short paragraphs. You don’t need to go into significant detail, but you must showcase your key skills to make the recruiter want to find out more.
Job hunting can be full of uncertainty. But with us, you can be sure that we’ll do everything we can to get you to your ideal job. Send your CV to us to get started or search for the latest job vacancies and we’ll get the ball rolling.